Center for Israel Education (CIE) announces the Israel Education Grant for
Jewish Day Schools
CIE has renew a generous grant from a national foundation (wishing to remain anonymous) to boost Israel education in select Jewish day schools across North America over a three-year period. We are able to provide these offerings at half price with this grant.
The DSI Grant with CIE provides an economical way for continued learning and development at every level of your school. As a DSI Member, your school receives the training and resources you need for a highly effective inhouse professional learning community and a more comprehensive approach to Israel learning and engagement. Annual grants are available in three categories: basic, select and premium and are valid for school years 2020-21, 2021-22, and 2022-23. Grants are limited and afforded on a first come first serve basis, so reserve your spot now!
If you are interested in having your school be a beneficiary of this initiative, please contact Dr. Tal Grinfas-David at [email protected].
Customizing Israel Education for Your School
As a participating school, you will decide on appropriate and attainable Israel education goals for your setting. CIE will help you achieve those goals with a tailored professional development plan. Examples of goals may include, but are not limited to:
- Boosting the Israel education curriculum before and after an Israel trip
- Creating a spiral curriculum framework for all grades
- Integrating units between General and Judaic Studies
- Supporting Shlichim and on-boarding new employees each year with online learning modules
- Infusing primary sources to bring Israel’s history alive
- Teaching Israel all year long, and not just before the important days or holidays
- Expanding family programming to promote Israel education beyond the classroom
- Designing board and key stakeholder activities to foster support and understanding for the need to dedicate school resources to Israel education
- Fostering student connections with Israel as a way to keep Israel central to their identity after they graduate
- Enhancing Israel knowledge as a means of creating effecting Israel advocacy
BASIC: ($180 / hour) A Basic Grant package includes 1-9 hours of support. The Basic Grant is perfect for those schools seeking to hone a unit or a course in a particular grade and to provide inspirational faculty professional development sessions throughout the year.
SELECT: ($180 / hour and 25% discount on CIE materials) A Select Grant package includes 10 or more hours of support, and is best suited for schools seeking to develop alternative programming for canceled Israel trips and/or to enhance the curriculum in multiple grade levels.
PREMIUM: ($2,500 / year) A Premium Grant package includes unlimited hours of support and CIE materials at no charge. This is best suited for engaging in an Israel curriculum review, integrating Israel studies into other disciplines, such as humanities and S.T.E.A.M., and/or designing long-term strategic plans, such as re-accreditation goals or spiral curricular guides aligned with standards and benchmarks.
As a Cohort Member School You Will Receive:
• consulting sessions with school administrators to plan and align CIE offerings for your school’s needs
• professional development sessions with faculty members focused on Israel content knowledge and
• Member units specially designed and selected by CIE educators and delivered throughout as needed
• Access to our online learning classes and materials
• sessions for parents, board members, stakeholders, donors and lay-leaders in your community
Highly esteemed by teachers, the CIE workshops have engaged more than 2,300 pre-collegiate teachers, reaching more than 370,000 Jewish students. To see what teachers are saying about us, please visit israeled.org/workshop/testimonials/
Cohort Participation and Expectations
As CIE is investing considerable resources in each cohort member school, we kindly request that schools do all they can to ensure the success of their own determined goals. This includes:
- Designating a point person in the school who will communicate with CIE and with the school faculty and administration to coordinate efforts, resolve challenges, plan for the future and supervise logistics.
- Providing an annual report to CIE about progress made toward achieving goals.
- Allowing teachers the necessary time to develop and implement ideas in their classrooms.
- Providing CIE with supporting files in a timely fashion (budget, school profile, measurable outcomes, videos and pictures capturing the school’s initiative, etc.)
- Sending a minimum of two teachers each year to CIE educator workshops and/or seminars
Process for Cohort Applications
Please complete/submit the following:
- A signed Memorandum of Understanding by your head of school—The MOU is customizable for your school’s setting and population. Click here for MOU
- A detailed school profile—please include specifics on your schools affiliations, campus, number of faculty and students, and current Israel education programming, trips and curricula by grade. Click here for School Profile
- An initial draft of two or three goals you are thinking about for your school to boost Israel education. Please provide your school goals as a Word document.
Submit to Dr. Tal David via email at [email protected].
Soon after your acceptance to the cohort, you will be asked to video conference with CIE faculty to determine next steps and turn your goals into measurable outcomes. Please be prepared to assemble an Israel education committee of teachers and administrators who are excited and ready to plan for the future!
We encourage you to use this initiative in multiple ways to benefit your school, such as including it in your re-accreditation reports, school improvement plans, marketing and recruitment for new families, and in general, touting your accomplishments and dedication to Israel education.