Center for Israel Education (CIE) announces a 2nd Cohort (3-year initiative) Israel Education Grant for
Jewish Day Schools Opportunity
(*pending receipt of funding*)
CIE has the potential to renew a generous grant from a national foundation (wishing to remain anonymous) to boost Israel education in select Jewish day schools across North America over a three-year period. We are concluding our third year of the pilot program and will begin a new three-year cohort in August 2020. If you are interested in having your school be a beneficiary of this initiative, please contact Dr. Tal Grinfas-David at [email protected].
Customizing Israel Education for Your School
As a participating school, you will decide on appropriate and attainable Israel education goals for your setting. CIE will help you achieve those goals with a tailored professional development plan. Examples of goals may include, but are not limited to:
- Boosting the Israel education curriculum before and after an Israel trip
- Creating a spiral curriculum framework for all grades
- Integrating units between General and Judaic Studies
- Supporting Shlichim and on-boarding new employees each year with online learning modules
- Infusing primary sources to bring Israel’s history alive
- Teaching Israel all year long, and not just before the important days or holidays
- Expanding family programming to promote Israel education beyond the classroom
- Designing board and key stakeholder activities to foster support and understanding for the need to dedicate school resources to Israel education
- Fostering student connections with Israel as a way to keep Israel central to their identity after they graduate
- Enhancing Israel knowledge as a means of creating effecting Israel advocacy
As a Cohort Member School You Will Receive:
- On-site professional development with CIE faculty (once a year for a two-day visit) including a wide variety of materials, activities and units that your teachers can implement in their classrooms.
- A matching grant of up to $2,500 per year for your school to invest in achieving your goals; approved expenditures relating to your school’s needs include but are not limited to purchase of materials and software tools, food, space and materials costs for teacher workshops, registration for CIE workshops and seminars, stipends for teacher-leaders, and more
- Free subscriptions for select CIE curriculum units for your students
- Ongoing mentoring with leaders in Israel education
- A network of participating schools and an online discussion platform for sharing ideas and overcoming challenges
- Top notch curriculum design and pedagogy support
Highly esteemed by teachers, the CIE workshops have engaged more than 2,300 pre-collegiate teachers, reaching more than 370,000 Jewish students. To see what teachers are saying about us, please visit israeled.org/workshop/testimonials/
Cohort Participation and Expectations
As CIE is investing considerable resources in each cohort member school, we kindly request that schools do all they can to ensure the success of their own determined goals. This includes:
- Designating a point person in the school who will communicate with CIE and with the school faculty and administration to coordinate efforts, resolve challenges, plan for the future and supervise logistics.
- Providing an annual report to CIE about progress made toward achieving goals.
- Allowing teachers the necessary time to develop and implement ideas in their classrooms.
- Designing 3 on-site two-day visits (one each year) that allow for CIE faculty to train as many teachers as possible in the most effective way.
- Providing CIE with supporting files in a timely fashion (budget, school profile, measurable outcomes, videos and pictures capturing the school’s initiative, etc.)
- Sending a minimum of two teachers each year to CIE educator workshops and/or seminars
Process for Cohort Applications
Please complete/submit the following:
- A signed Memorandum of Understanding by your head of school—The MOU is customizable for your school’s setting and population. Click here for MOU
- A detailed school profile—please include specifics on your schools affiliations, campus, number of faculty and students, and current Israel education programming, trips and curricula by grade. Click here for School Profile
- An initial draft of two or three goals you are thinking about for your school to boost Israel education. Please provide your school goals as a Word document.
Submit all three items via email to [email protected].
Soon after your acceptance to the cohort, you will be asked to video conference with CIE faculty to determine next steps, turn your goals into measurable outcomes, and begin to plan dates for the first professional development two-day visit to your school. Please be prepared to assemble an Israel education committee of teachers and administrators who are excited and ready to plan for the future!
We encourage you to use this initiative in multiple ways to benefit your school, such as including it in your re-accreditation reports, school improvement plans, marketing and recruitment for new families, and in general, touting your accomplishments and dedication to Israel education.