January 20, 2018
IDEAL© is an online learning program offered by the Atlanta based Center for Israel Education through the online learning platform Teachable.
Learners can enroll and take part in CIE’s digital classes at their convenience.
IDEAL© courses are designed for learners aged 14 and up unless otherwise noted.
Enrollment in IDEAL© varies from $36 to $65 depending on the course.
IDEAL: Modern Israel is a 6 session overview of Israel’s birth and development. The following topics/subjects are covered in the course:
- Origins of Zionism – Zionism did not evolve as a result of a civil war, the victory of one country over another, or because of anti-Semitism. Understand how it evolved from centuries of Jewish history and a newly defined communal destiny.
- State-Making: Pathways and Obstacles to Israel – From 1882 to 1948, Jewish presence in the land of Israel grew from 20,000 to 650,000. How did Jews buy land and establish the nucleus of a Jewish state by 1939?
- Cultural Development – Zionism needed more than political and financial solutions to actualize a Jewish home. By defining a “New Jew,” constantly redefined by waves of immigrants, Hebrew culture populated and built the growing Jewish homeland.
- Independence and the Jewish State’s Definition – Following its establishment in May 1948, the new state of Israel faced significant economic, sociological, and security challenges. How did Israel navigate these areas?
- State Keeping and June 1967 –Unexpectedly, the June 1967 War helped further connect Israelis to the land and protect Israel’s precarious borders. It also set in motion fifty years of Arab-Israeli negotiations that still remain unfinished. Explore the open-ended nature of the June War.
- Contemporary Issues – Concluding topics will include the status of the US-Israel relationship, the uncertainty of geo-politics in the Middle East, Israel’s presence on North American college campuses, and domestic challenges facing Israel.
For more information about IDEAL©, contact Rich Walter at [email protected]