In this 32-minute video recorded July 24, 2023, Mauricio Friedman, the head of Jewish education at Mexico City’s Hebraica University, and Steven Bayme, a longtime American Jewish Committee official, address the ongoing importance of Zionism as a unifying factor for the Jewish people and explain why we are not in a post-Zionist era in a conversation with CIE President Ken Stein.
This video is edited from a session at the 22nd annual Enrichment Workshop on Modern Israel, held by the Center for Israel Education and the Emory University Institute for the Study of Modern Israel to help Israel educators succeed.
The following links provide deeper understanding about Zionism’s past, present and future.
Readings for Further Study:
• President Isaac Herzog’s approach to the Diaspora — israeled.org/as-president-herzog-offers-advancement-of-israel-diaspora-ties
• Flourishing with united purpose — israeled.org/israeli-and-diaspora-jews-we-are-siblings-not-cousins
• International legitimacy for Jewish homeland — israeled.org/resources/documents/mandate-palestine
• Haven for Jews anywhere — israeled.org/resources/documents/israels-law-return
• AJC policy statement — israeled.org/israel-diaspora-relations
Videos for Further Study:
• What unites Diaspora and Israeli Jews — israeled.org/gil-troy-and-steven-bayme-diaspora-israel-relations-what-unites-jewish-communities-july-25-2022-3726
• Why Zionism remains vibrant and vital — israeled.org/intro-to-zionism-today
• What Zionism has and hasn’t accomplished — israeled.org/zionism-and-us-has-zionism-succeeded
• Start-Up Nation’s influence abroad — israeled.org/zionism-and-us-israeli-innovation
• Modern Zionist ideas — israeled.org/6-schools-of-zionist-ideas-for-todays-torchbearer-generation
• How to tell Zionism’s story — israeled.org/jewish-peoplehood-zionism-and-state-building